A Housekeeper is employed to undertake the smooth running of a household in line with the home owner’s wishes.
They will provide the client with a wide variety of professional domestic services and assume responsibilities such as cleaning, laundry, cooking and running errands/driving. Each household is unique therefore the duties and responsibilities will be discussed with the Housekeeper at interview stage.
Some full-time Housekeepers will work on a ‘Live-in’ basis and are therefore provided with a room and some meals in addition to their weekly or monthly salary. Usually the Housekeeper will not have direct involvement with the children of the household, but every home is different, so flexibility is essential. As well as keeping the house clean and orderly, they may also be required to do food shopping and prepare family meals.
It is not uncommon for a Housekeeper to be entrusted with the keys to the household when the employer is not at home. This means they will be able to access the property to work or in case of an emergency.
There are a variety of titles for the role of Housekeeper. For example:
- Live in Housekeeper
- All round Housekeeper
- Daily Housekeeper
- Nanny Housekeeper
- Housekeeper Companion
- Housekeeper cook
Duties of a typical Housekeeper
The duties and responsibilities of the Housekeeper role will vary widely from one household to another, so we encourage employers to specify their particular requirements as early on in the interview process as possible. If the duties are clear from the outset then the Housekeeper will have no problems undertaking all the tasks required once they have commenced employment.
Housekeeper Duties and Responsibilities:
- Housekeepers Are Responsible For Making Sure That All Areas Of The Home Are Clean, Neat, And Tidy. A Very Experienced Housekeeper May Be Sometimes Referred To As A 5* Housekeeper.
- A Housekeeper Will Take Care Of The House, Ensuring That It Is Always Clean, Neat, Tidy And Welcoming. They May Also Do Some Light Outdoor Duties Such Putting Out Rubbish For Collection.
- Reliable And Trustworthy Housekeepers Are Always In Demand And We Help Clients Find Excellent Temporary, Permanent Or Part Time Housekeepers.
- Prepare Breakfast And Clean And Tidy Kitchen And Breakfast Room
- Keep Refrigerator Clean And Discard Out-Of-Date Items
- Clean The Oven
- Tidy And Clean Bathrooms, Bedrooms And Living Areas Which Have Been Used
- Clean Unused Rooms On A Less Frequent Basis (Or Supervise A Domestic Help)
- Polishes Brass And Silver, Antiques And Fine Furniture
- Clean Windows Inside
- Collect, Wash, Iron And Return Laundry To The Appropriate Place. Hand Wash Delicate Items
- Wardrobe Management
- Arrange Dry-Cleaning As Required
- Answer Door And Telephone As Required
- Feed And Exercise Pets On A Regular Basis, As Directed
- Keep Patios, Pathways And Steps Clean And Tidy
- Water Household Plants & Flower Arranging
- Carry Out Weekly Grocery Shopping
- Handle Petty Cash And Debit Cards
- Deal With Tradesmen, Suppliers And Contractors
- Manage Security Alarms
- Occasional Babysitting
- Carry Out Any Other Tasks That The Employer May Reasonably AskThe Salary Range For Housekeepers Is Typically From £400 – £500 Net For A Live In Position Or £450 -£550 For A Live Out Position. Housekeepers Are Usually Charged At The Hourly Rate Of £10 – £15.
- Eden Reference Check All Their Housekeepers And Will Ensure They Possess A Clear DBS Record From The Criminal Records Bureau. We Always, However, Recommend To All Our Clients That They Speak To The Referees Themselves To Ascertain The Candidates’ Ultimate Suitability.